Monday, May 24, 2010

Tokyo Bekana-Who?

One of the risks of a CSA is that you will get items you don't know. I know many people say they don't want to join a CSA for this reason. I say, it's a chance for adventure! My adventure this week is Tokyo Bekana. I have never heard of this item before. After doing a little research, I learned that is a small Japanese cabbage good in soups and stir fries.

I found a recipe for stir fried tokyo bekana. Wanting it to be more of a dinner, I added chicken to the recipe and threw some short grain brown rice into my rice cooker. Voila! Dinner for night #2 with the CSA.

Asian-Style Greens and Chicken with Sesame, Ginger and Soy Sauce

4 tablespoons light sesame oil or olive oil
2 tablespoons white hulled sesame seeds
4 teaspoons peeled, minced ginger root
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 pounds tender Asian greens (works great with Tokyo Bekana)
2 tablespoons soy sauce
4 teaspoons rice vinegar
1/2 lb chicken cut into cubes

1. In a wide heavy saute pan or wok over medium heat, warm the oil. Add the sesame seeds and stir until they pop and become fragrant. Add the ginger and garlic and saute for 1 more minute.
2. Add chicken and saute until cooked through
3. Add the greens and 1 tablespoon soy sauce, raise the heat and cook, covered, for 1 minute. Uncover and saute for 1 or 2 minutes more, until the greens are tender but still bright green.
4. Stir in more soy sauce and vinegar to taste, and serve over brown rice!

No comments:

Post a Comment