Monday, May 24, 2010

First Time CSA Member

This year is the first year I have become a CSA (Community Supported Agrigulture) member. Essentially that means that I pledge a certain amount of money to support a local farm (or farms) and I receive a share of whatever grows.

Eating locally has become more important to me the more I learn about food. One of the first wake-up calls I had was on a bike trip through Tuscany (I know, it was as great as it sounds - the best bike trip ever was with Backroads). Our tour guide had to explain to the restaurants that my husband, I call him bubble boy at times, is allergic to nuts, oranges, melons, wheat, etc. Our tour guide explained to us that that they didn't quite understand food allergies in Tuscany because they don't really have them. Don't have food allergies? This seems strange. Well, if you think about this old culture, you don't see fruits and vegetables being flown in from Mexico to Tuscany!! I think they may be on to something.

The next big wake-up call was watching Food Inc. Seeing how your food is produced and where it comes from is eye opening.

From there, the evidence keeps mounting. Finally a link between pesticides and autism. We know pesticides are bad. It will be too late before we really know their full impact.

This is the long winded reason before becoming a CSA member. We are going to eat locally and support agriculture that does not use harmful pesticides.

This CSA food adventure will start with the Fertile Crescent Farm in Prince Edward County, VA. In this adventure we will also try new foods that I would not normally have bought for my family (only because I usually just cook what I know).

Can't wait for this adventure to begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment